Saturday, May 28, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes


I love baking. Cooking, eh occasionally, but baking? Yes please! Perhaps it's because I have a serious sweet tooth... like really serious. I've had dreams about cheesecake, is that weird?

However, I've been told (although I refuse to believe it) that desserts aren't exactly great for you (or your waistline). Okay perhaps I've always know this (but I still refuse to believe it). All I know is that a world without cupcakes is not a world I want to live in.

Since I refuse to give up my treats, I'm always looking for low calorie versions - that actually taste good. And because I'm such a sweetheart I decided to share them with you! So, I plan to regularly post recipes for desserts that are 200 calories (ideally more like 150) or less per serving.

First up are Hungry Girl's Red Velvet Insanity Cupcakes.You can also find the recipe (and a whole lot of more awesomeness in the book: Hungry Girl: 200 Under 200: 200 Recipes Under 200 Calories or at the Hungry Girl Website.




So, make them, eat them, then tell me what you think of them.

Ingredients:
For Frosting
6 tbsp. Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme
6 tbsp. Cool Whip Free, thawed
1/4 cup fat-free cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)

For Cupcakes
1 cup Pillsbury Moist Supreme Reduced Sugar Cake Mix, Devil's Food
1 cup Pillsbury Moist Supreme Reduced Sugar Cake Mix, Classic Yellow
Two 25-calorie diet hot cocoa mix packets
1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
1/2 oz. red food coloring
1 tsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
1/8 tsp. salt

Directions:


Preheat oven to 350 degrees
 In a bowl, mix together marshmallow creme, cream cheese, and 1 tbsp. Splenda until smooth. Fold in Cool Whip. Place bowl in the fridge to chill until cupcakes are ready to be frosted.

Place half of your chocolate chips (2 tbsp.) and the contents of both cocoa packets in a tall glass (we didn't have a large enough glass, a bowl worked just as well). Add 1/2 cup of boiling water, and stir until chips and cocoa mix have dissolved. Add  1 cup cold water and mix well.

Pour cocoa mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add the cake mixes, egg substitute, remaining chocolate chips, red food coloring, Splenda, and salt. Using a whisk or fork, mix batter for about 2 minutes (until smooth and blended). Batter will be thin, but don't worry, your cupcakes will puff up once baked!

Line a 12-cup muffin pan with baking cups, and spray lightly with nonstick spray (or simply spray the pan with nonstick spray). Evenly spoon batter into the pan. Place pan in the oven, and bake for 15 - 20 minutes. Cupcakes will look shiny when done. Once cupcakes have cooled completely, evenly spread the frosting over them. Enjoy!

 MAKES 12 SERVINGS


Serving Size: 1 frosted cupcake
Calories: 134
Fat: 3g
Sodium: 266mg
Carbs: 25g
Fiber: 0.75g
Sugars: 11g
Protein: 3g

POINTS® value 3*

No comments: