Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I Totally Made That! -- Pillowcase Dress


I have a confession to make... I can't sew.

Okay, so it's not a huge confession, or really even an interesting one, but I swear sometimes I think I'm the only one!

Throughout the years I've gone back and forth between really really wanting to learn how to sew and not caring all that much that I didn't.

I believe I have only sewn two things before; one was in junior high home ec. class when we made a foot pillow (that's a pillow in the shape of a foot, not a pillow for your feet). It was purple plaid, it was pretty awesome. The next time was about nine years ago when I was pregnant with Riley. I had cross stitched a Winne the Pooh blanket and sewed on some padding and a backing. It worked, it's still together, and that's really all I could have hoped for.

Lately though I've been reading all these amazing creative blogs and spending way too much time on Etsy and Pintrest, and those old "I wish I could do that" feelings have been resurfacing.

So, when I came across this post from Smile and Wave about pillowcase dresses I decided to give it a try (I mean really, 3 sides of the dress are already done for you!). So, I dug out my sewing machine from  a dark corner in the basement, (yeah I actually have a sewing machine - I begged my husband for one years ago for Christmas - I think I might have threaded it once -  and then never used it.) and got to work.








The fact that I was actually able to make the dress shows you how easy it is.

I'm actually really happy with how it came out. It's not perfect; there definitely won't be any close-ups of the stitching, but I still think it's pretty darn cute.

And it feels nice to have made something for my little munchkin. I feel a little silly saying it, but I'm kinda proud of myself.

The sewing machine is still sitting on the dining room table. I don't have anywhere else to put it, but I fear if it goes back to the basement it could be years before I pull it out again. So, for now it's a daily reminder that I should make something.

No comments: